Friday, April 20, 2012

Friday Fic Review



My Wounded Soldier 
 by 
counselor  

Guess Reviewed by Jayme DuRob


1866 Edward just home from the war. Neighbor Bella has a tragedy and Edward delivers her baby. Seeing as she's widowed, marriage makes sense. He doesn't feel worthy, but he can't step aside for her suitors. Competition amongst veterans.

Over the past few weeks I had been seeing this story recommended by a great many of my friends, and I mean they were gushing over it. I'd planned on waiting until it was complete to begin reading it but decided to go ahead and give it a try. I cannot say how happy I am that I did. My Wounded Soldier is 35 chapters long and counselor updates extremely fast.

I am nowhere near caught up on all the chapters. Have I mentioned that they are long chapters?   Extremely long, fulfilling chapters that immediately transport you to another time. 

My Wounded Soldier is set in the post Civil War period.  Edward returned from the war a broken, disillusioned man.  His brother Garrett, who was the apple of the family’s eye, was killed during a battle and Edward can’t get past the guilt he feels about his failure to save him.  As he returned home, he made the decision to leave the family home and travel out West to start a new life. He feels unworthy of his family’s affection and thinks his life will be better  if he starts fresh in a place where no one knows or cares about him. 


Bella and her husband Riley live down the road on a neighboring farm.  They have a young son, Johnny, and Bella is due to deliver their second child when tragedy occurs. Riley’s father paid someone to take Riley’s place in the war, and after the soldier’s wife took her children and left him, he came back for revenge on Riley and his family.  After her husband was killed, Bella shot and killed the enraged man, which instantly sent her into labor.  Johnny went for help and came back with Edward in tow. 


Edward safely delivered Bella’s baby and a strong bond begins to grow between them.


I don’t want it to seem like I am giving away the entire story, but all this happens in the first chapter! Talk about a whirlwind!

What I love so much about this fic is counselor’s writing.  It reads more like a novel than a fanfic. She is meticulous in detail and her attention to the language and situations of the time is outstanding.  It boggles the mind to think of how much research she has done to make it so authentic.  


The story is mostly written from EPOV and his inner turmoil is fascinating to read.  The other characters are also well developed and her, in the story, Bella is very strong.  I highly recommend My Wounded Soldier to anyone who likes historical fanfics or simply enjoys a well-written quality story.

Read My Wounded Soldier Today!


No comments:

Post a Comment