Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Monday Fic Review

by sparklnfade

 It's been ten years since the summer Bella Swan's life changed. What will happen when she comes face to face with the reason for it? She went under once, will she go under again? AH ExB

Guest Reviewer: Irish Chicka

When TwFich00rs asked me to be a guest reviewer for their blog I was thrilled.  I asked to pick a story and I immediately thought of “Going Under”.  It’s one of those stories that is beautifully written, angsty enough to make your heart ache, so realistic that it makes you recall your own “the one” and makes you hit the “next” button so fast it makes your head spin to get to the next chapter.

That being said, when I found out it had to do with surfing, I was a little hesitant.  The closest I’d ever come to surfing was a boogie board incident that caused me to dig sand out of my crack for the entire vacation (Coordinated I’m not!). I read the first chapter and that was it…I was hooked.



The premise of the story is about loving and losing that one person that you are never able to forget about in your life, only to come face to face with that person again years later.  It’s about being young and experiencing that all-encompassing love, making mistakes, regret and miraculously getting a second chance.

 As it begins, you meet a fresh high school graduate, Bella and her dad, Charlie, making a fresh start in Santa Cruz, California after Charlie’s company downsizes in Washington State.  You also meet Edward (aka, Olderward, Dadward, Surferward….gahhh, *drools*) who owns CC Surf and Skate, his adorable 3-year-old son, Lisle (short for Carlisle) and Edward’s brother, the charming Jasper. Their journey begins when Bella applies for a job, which Edward accepts under the condition that she learn to surf. 



            "Bella?" My stomach flipped as I turned to him. "You start tomorrow. On one condition."
My heart stuttered in my chest. "Condition?"
"Okay, two," he corrected. "First, you never go out with my brother. Second… you learn to surf."



The attraction between Edward and Bella is almost tangible as it grows, especially during her early morning surf lessons with him.  The instantaneous adoration Lisle has for Bella is so heartwarming and just adds wonderful fuel to the fire of their growing relationship.  Once their relationship progresses, Edward can’t hold back anymore and WOW!!


The air in my lungs disappeared as I watched his mouth part, tongue peeking out to trace his bottom lip. Anger, disappointment – everything I'd been feeling – disappeared and the air around us shifted. Warmth crawled up my body, and I'm not sure who moved first, but suddenly my hands were wrapped around his biceps and I had the taste of him in my mouth, all sweet and coffee and mint.



He kissed so softly; tentative and caring. Top lip… bottom lip. A lick and then a suck. My fingers tightened and our kiss grew stronger, more demanding. He moaned. I melted. My mouth parted and his tongue swirled against mine, teeth tugging my bottom lip until he slowed. With two soft kisses he pulled away, washing warmth across my cheek as he breathed heavily. The hold he had on my hair loosened as his lips teased my jaw, and then my neck.
Hands dropped to my shoulders, arms, and then wrapped around my waist. And I couldn't believe this was happening. His chest danced heavily against my own, sending shivers through me as cold water from his wetsuit soaked into the material of my shirt.



"Do you know what you do to me?" he whispered, lips brushing each word against my skin like an artist puts paint to canvas.
I couldn't answer him, but I didn't let go. The truth was that I didn't know if I'd ever be able to let go again.

*Swoons and drools*. I love the words sparklnfade uses to depict these scenes, so beautifully written that you feel like it’s you there experiencing it.  (We all wish, right?)  Of course, fate throws a monkey wrench into our beloved couple’s bright days with the introduction of Edward’s ex-wife and uberbitch, Makenna, whose soul purpose in life is to hurt Edward by using his son as leverage.  The monkey wrench comes in the form of a petition of soul custody of Lisle after she finds out of Edward’s and Bella’s budding romance.

Bella makes a decision she feels is the right thing that shatters not only herself, but Edward and Lisle.  We catch up with them all again, after ten years when they unexpectedly come face to face once more.





Rarely in life, do we get a second chance in life to right the wrongs we mistake in life.  “Going Under” is a story about doing just that and finding out that the choices you make in life have lasting effects on not only you, but others. 

For all of those reasons, “Going Under” will make you laugh and cry.  Sparkl does a fantastic job of evoking a variety of strong emotions in a story that has quickly become one of my favorites that I’ll rec over and over.

~Irish Chicka 

Happy Reading h00rs!

2 comments: